$570,000-contribution helps Agri-Neo grow its food safety solutions and create 10 full-time, skilled jobs
TORONTO, July 18, 2019
As consumers across the globe look for safer and healthier food options, innovative Canadian companies, such as Agri-Neo Inc., are developing solutions to safely feed the world. Today, James Maloney, Member of Parliament for Etobicoke–Lakeshore, visited Agri-Neo Inc. and acknowledged a FedDev Ontario contribution of $570,000 for the commercialization of its innovative food safety solution.
Agri-Neo Inc., a Toronto-based company, has developed Neo-Pure™, an organic food-safety solution for raw and dry foods that is applied at food processing sites. This innovative solution eliminates harmful pathogens and unwanted microbes, keeping foods viable for longer periods while retaining their raw, organic qualities. It offers an alternative to traditional technologies, such as pasteurization, that often damage raw and dry foods such as seeds, grains and nuts.
Over the three-year life of the project, FedDev Ontario funding has allowed Agri-Neo Inc. to create 10 full-time, skilled jobs; scale-up marketing activities to expand its customer base; and to establish a new safety standard on dry foods. Agri-Neo’s chemical-free, environmentally responsible technology helps contribute to a healthier food environment for all Canadians.
“FedDev Ontario’s investment in Agri-Neo Inc. speaks to the importance of supporting manufacturers and the development of innovative biotechnologies that develop sustainable, safe methods of food production. This funding is helping an inspiring local start-up reach new markets, set new food safety standards and transform the way we produce and protect our food sources.”
– James Maloney, Member of Parliament for Etobicoke–Lakeshore
“This investment in Agri-Neo Inc. builds on Canada’s competitive advantages by commercializing an innovative food safety solution, boosting economic growth and creating good, middle-class jobs for Canadians.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
“FedDev Ontario’s support helped us to grow our company in Ontario, allowing us to now provide innovative food safety solutions to customers across Canada and the U.S. This support was critical to our company’s success by funding our development and commercialization of Neo-Pure™. We envision that this product will set a food safety standard for processors of seeds, grains, and nuts all over the world so they mitigate the risk of food recalls and increase their sales with higher quality food.”
– Nick Dillon, Chief Executive Officer, Agri-Neo Inc.
- Agri-Neo Inc., founded in 2009, is a Canadian company that focuses on developing food safety solutions to ensure that treated foods are safe, healthy and are not harmful to the environment.
- Neo-Pure™, launched in July 2016, is marketed to dry food manufacturers and processors in Canada and the U.S., to help them reduce the risks of contamination and product recalls.
- FedDev Ontario’s repayable contribution of up to $570,000 has leveraged an additional $1.14 million from members of the MaRS Angel Network in 2015, an accredited southern Ontario angel network.
- This year marks 10 years of FedDev Ontario delivering funding and business services to support innovation and growth in southern Ontario.